- Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and type
CMD in the Search Programs and Files field and press
- In the command prompt window that appears, type IPCONFIG and press
- The two most important pieces of information displayed will be the IPv4 address and Default Gateway.
- If the IPv4 Address is 0.0.0.0, contact your Internet Service Provider or check out our Router Troubleshooting article here.
- If the IPv4 Address begins with 169.254.xxx.xxx, check out our 169.254 IP Address troubleshooting article.
- If the IPv4 Address begins with 192.168.xxx.xxx, verify the default gateway.
Welcome to the Micro Center Tech Support Blog!
Find free technical support on a variety of products featured at Micro Center and plenty of how-tos on new technology. Start searching our Blog below or search our Tech Center archives »
Can't find what your looking for? Take advantage of our Tech Support services »
Join the MC Tech Support Community Forum: Get direct advice from the Knowledge Experts @ Micro Center.
Click here to access the Forum »
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
IP Address Troubleshooting - Verifying a correct IP address
Being unable to connect to the internet and getting a local only access on a computer can frequently be due to invalid IP addresses or the computer being unable to attain a Default Gateway. This guide will walk through checking the IP address the computer is getting and troubleshooting the different issues caused by different IP addresses.