In this example we will use Windows 7, but the steps may be used to get an idea for how it is done in other versions, particularly Windows Vista.
- Open the Windows Update section of the Control Panel. This can be done in various ways based on Operating System - in Windows XP you may need to go to www.windowsupdate.com to proceed.
- Click on the Start button in the bottom left, then choose
Control Panel on the right side of the Start Menu.
- In the top right of the Control Panel, choose the View By: dropdown and then select
- On the left side, click on the green System and Security heading.
- In the middle click on the green Windows Update heading.
- On the Windows Update screen, view the available updates by clicking on the
Important Updates are Available option.
- Locate the KB number for the update that will not install by clicking on the update, then checking in the parentheses on the right.
- Visit www.google.com and search the web for the KB number in the following format:
KB######## download details site:Microsoft.com
- This will search the Microsoft.com web page for the download page of that update. Ensure that the page is from Microsoft.com before downloading and installing any application
- On that download page, follow the instructions to manually download and install the update. This varies per update, so pay attention to the steps provided on the page.