- Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Control Panel on the right half of the Start menu.
- The Control Panel should open to a series of categories. If it does not, click the Control Panel Home link on the left.
- Click the green System and Maintenance link.
- Click the green Administrative Tools link which is the last heading in the menu.
- Double-click the Memory Diagnostic Tool icon in the next window.
- Select the Restart now and check for problems option to begin the diagnostic.
- The Memory Diagnostic Tool will run two passes on the RAM check for errors. If any errors are found they will be displayed on the screen. Once the test is complete the system will automatically reboot back into Windows Vista.
Welcome to the Micro Center Tech Support Blog!
Find free technical support on a variety of products featured at Micro Center and plenty of how-tos on new technology. Start searching our Blog below or search our Tech Center archives »
Can't find what your looking for? Take advantage of our Tech Support services »
Join the MC Tech Support Community Forum: Get direct advice from the Knowledge Experts @ Micro Center.
Click here to access the Forum »
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
How to Run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows Vista
Windows Vista has a built-in feature called the Memory Diagnostic Tool. It will check the RAM in your computer for errors and notify the user if the RAM needs to be replaced. This utility will not find all errors, but will check for obvious hardware failures in the memory. This guide will walk-through how to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows Vista.