The easiest resolution, which will be covered in this document, is to run the Microsoft Fix-it tool, which will resolve most of the general issues in this area.
- Visit the Microsoft Fix-It Page at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us
- Click on the green Run Now button to proceed
- When prompted to run or save the file, choose Run.
- When the file is finished, click on Run or Open to run the file, then allow or grant permission to proceed.
- It will prompt you to agree to the terms and proceed. After reviewing the terms, click Accept to proceed.
- The Fix-it tool will download the Microsoft Fix-it engine to proceed.
- When prompted, choose Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended).
- Wait a few moments as it checks for issues
- If prompted, select whether you are trying to write or read a disc. If you are not sure, select
- If prompted, select the drive that is having problems.
- The Fix-It tool will automatically detect and apply all fixes. When it is finished, test the CD/DVD drive with a disc, then complete the wizard by clicking Finish.