This article shows you how to create recovery media for Dell-brand computers.
Before you begin:
If your computer experiences problems that are not recoverable by other methods, you may need to reinstall the Windows operating system and factory-loaded software and drivers. To reinstall using discs, you must create the set of recovery discs before you have a problem. To ensure that you have recovery options available, you should create a set of recovery discs as soon as possible.
If you are creating recovery discs, ensure that you have several blank DVD±R discs. Note that you cannot use DVD±RW or DVD±R Double-Layer discs to create the recovery media.
Close all open applications on the PC. You will not be able to use the computer while it is creating the recovery media.
Create a set of operating system recovery discs by following these steps:
1. Click Start. In the Search Programs and Files box located just above the Start button, type "Dell Backup and Recovery Manager" (without the quotes) and press the Enter key.
2. On the left side of the window that opens, click Dell Recovery Tools.
3. Click Create a Recovery Disc or Device.
4. Select DVD and Factory Image and Recovery Tools and click Next.
5. Select your optical drive and insert a DVD±R and click Next.
The recovery files will then be written to disc. You may be asked to insert an additional disc after the first one. Follow the on-screen instructions until the recording is complete.
Note: Be sure to label each disc. We recommend that you pick a unique name for each disc such as Recovery Disc 1, 2, 3..etc.
Welcome to the Micro Center Tech Support Blog!
Find free technical support on a variety of products featured at Micro Center and plenty of how-tos on new technology. Start searching our Blog below or search our Tech Center archives »
Can't find what your looking for? Take advantage of our Tech Support services »
Join the MC Tech Support Community Forum: Get direct advice from the Knowledge Experts @ Micro Center.
Click here to access the Forum »