- Open the Registry editor by clicking the Start button and type "regedit" (without the quotes) into the search programs and files box, and then press enter.
- If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- After providing confirmation the registry editor window will appear.
- Locate and click the key or sub key that you want to backup.
- Click the File menu, and then click Export
- In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then, type a name for the backup file in the File name box.
- Click Save. If you would like to back up the complete registry select the export range of all and then click Save
Welcome to the Micro Center Tech Support Blog!
Find free technical support on a variety of products featured at Micro Center and plenty of how-tos on new technology. Start searching our Blog below or search our Tech Center archives »
Can't find what your looking for? Take advantage of our Tech Support services »
Join the MC Tech Support Community Forum: Get direct advice from the Knowledge Experts @ Micro Center.
Click here to access the Forum »
Friday, May 4, 2012
Tech Tip of the Day: How to export a key or sub key of your registry in Windows 7
Description: Before making any changes to your registry it is recommended that you make a backup copy of the key, sub key, or the complete registry. The following article will detail how to export a portion of or the whole registry, in case you would like to undo changes that have been made to the registry by importing a backup copy in the future.