Note: At various points during the installation, the computer will restart. Don't be alarmed! It's part of the normal process.
- We are greeted with the newly traditional Windows Betta Fish in the middle of a black screen as it begins to load the installation environment.
- After the fish goes away it will load the Language Select screen.
- Then the Install Now option appears. To repair an existing installation of Windows 8, the
Repair Your Computer option is available here.
- After a moment, it will prompt for the product key. This key is obtained in signing up for the Windows 8 Beta.
- Review the license terms, accept them and proceed.
- Choose either to upgrade an existing installation, or perform a custom installation. When installing on a blank new machine or virtual machine, it is necessary to choose
- Select the drive on which to install Windows 8
- Wait a few minutes as the files are copied and expanded.
- Once completed, the computer will restart.
- A few more minutes with the friendly Betta fish...
- ....and then the user setup begins, starting with a color (theme) selection and entering a PC name.
- Next, the Computer Settings. Using the Express Settings will result in most of the following settings being done for you, but for the sake of completeness we will go through the
- Choose whether or not to share files and resources with other computers on the network
- Windows Update and Security settings....
- Windows Improvement Program settings.
- Additional settings including checking error reports for resolutions, and app info sharing settings.
- If the machine is connected to the internet, you can enter your Microsoft email account. If you choose to use your Microsoft email account, (@live.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com, etc) your account will by synchronized between all Windows 8 computers when you log in.
- If you enter your Microsoft email address, you will be prompted to sign in on the next screen.
- Afterwards it will ask for security verification information, or to create it if it hasn't been set.
- Wait a moment as it creates your account
- It will then proceed to sign you in automatically
- After this, you will be presented with the Start screen in Windows 8.
- That concludes our Windows 8 installation walkthrough. Let us know what ideas you have for additional Windows 8 documents!