(including Free, Trial, or Retail versions)
- Go to www.malwarebytes.org. Follow
the download link to download.cnet.com
and click on "Download Now" icon (not the "Start Download"
buttons - which link to other stuff.) Alternatively, purchase a full version
of Malwarebytes in the software aisle or Service Department at Micro Center.
The full version includes a LIFETIME subscription and active background monitoring.
Run Malwarebytes Installer. If installer does not work, there may be a virus present which is interfering. In that case, complete the following, but after restarting the system in "Safe Mode with Networking"
To start windows in Safe Mode, do the following.
- Tell windows to Shut Down (not sleep or hibernate).
- Press power button
- Continually tap F8 until the Windows Start Menu appears (black screen with white text).
- Use Up/Down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking", press enter
- Make sure there is an active internet connection.
- Start Malwarebytes by double clicking the icon on the desktop or from the Start, Programs list.
- Click on Update tab. Click on "Check for Updates" button. Malwarebytes will search for updates, download and install them.
If you have a network connection during the installation, Malwarebytes should update automatically, otherwise, check for updates before starting a scan.
- Click on the "Scanner" tab. Select "Perform full scan" (this takes the most time, but is recommended for the first time scan on an infected system), or "Perform quick scan". Click on the "Scan" button to start.
A Full Scan can take anywhere from 10 min. to 2 hrs. Malwarebytes will highlight in red details of infected files found.
- When scan finishes, click "Show Results" button. A list of viruses, security issues, or any malware found will appear.
- If the items are not selected, do so, and then click "Remove Selected" button. The malicious files or registry issues will be removed.
- Restart the computer in normal windows mode. If Malwarebytes detected and removed threats in Safe Mode, it is recommended to repeat the scan process in normal mode to look for additional threats.