This article shows how to create the recovery media for a Gateway-brand computer.
Before you begin:
If your computer experiences problems that are not recoverable by other methods, you may need to reinstall the Windows operating system and factory-loaded software and drivers. To reinstall using discs, you must create the set of recovery discs before you have a problem. To ensure that you have recovery options available, you should create a set of recovery discs as soon as possible.
If you are creating recovery discs, ensure that you have several blank DVD±R discs. Note that you cannot use DVD±RW or DVD±R Double-Layer discs to create the recovery media.
Close all open applications on the PC. You will not be able to use the computer while it is creating the recovery media.
Create a set of operating system recovery discs by following these steps:
1. Click on Start » All Programs » Gateway, then click on Gateway Recovery Management. This will open Gateway Recovery Management.
2. Choose the recovery media you wish to create.
- Create factory default disc. This creates recovery discs for the hard drive's entire original contents, including Windows and all factory-loaded software and drivers.
- Create driver and application backup disc. This option creates recovery discs for only the factory-loaded software and drivers.
Note: It is recommended that you create each type of disk as soon as possible.
3. The Create Backup Disc dialog box opens. This dialog box tells you the number of blank, recordable discs you will need to complete the recovery. Be sure to have the required number of blank discs ready before going on.
4. Insert a blank disc into the drive indicated in the Burn to list, then click Next. The first disc begins recording, and you can watch its progress on the screen. When the disc finishes recording, the drive ejects it.
5. Remove the disc from the drive and mark it with a permanent marker.
Note: Be sure to label each disc. We recommend that you pick a unique name for each disc such as Recovery Disc 1 of 2 or Apps/Drivers Recovery disc.
If multiple discs are required, insert a new disc when prompted, then click OK. Continue recording discs until the process is complete.
Welcome to the Micro Center Tech Support Blog!
Find free technical support on a variety of products featured at Micro Center and plenty of how-tos on new technology. Start searching our Blog below or search our Tech Center archives »
Can't find what your looking for? Take advantage of our Tech Support services »
Join the MC Tech Support Community Forum: Get direct advice from the Knowledge Experts @ Micro Center.
Click here to access the Forum »